Thursday, July 25, 2013

Becalmed and Cooking Up Love -- Two Great Reads from Two Great Author Friends!

I am so excited to share news two of my favorite author friends have had their books come out this month. And I've had the privilege of reading both.

Becalmed by Normandie Fischer

 I already gave a strong pitch for this book on my Facebook Page this morning. I cannot say enough about this story. I took it to bed with me every night to read before lights out. I've not had time to read much during the day this summer, but knowing I had the book with its delicious characters waiting for me at bedtime, kept me looking forward to turning in.

If you love sailing, you will enjoy this book. But you don't need to know anything about the sport. Just enjoy the ride as you sail out to sea with Tadie (it rhymes wih Sadie) the heroine. But Tadie's sail hits some rough seas when she encounters Will, the hero. He's a widower with the cutest little redheaded daughter named Jilly. She's a bit precocious, but not obnoxiously so.

It's easy to see Tadie and Will are made for each other, but they're both too blinded by life to notice. How in the world will they ever get together?

I'm not going to tell you, but I will say reading this book is like enjoying a lazy hazy trip to the Carolinas and settling back with a glass of sweet tea and one of Tadie's cookies.

I was sure sorry when I read the last page. Not because of a dissatisfying ending, but because I had to say good-bye to the characters I'd come to love so much.

Watch out for Normandie Fischer. She's a new fiction author we haven't seen the last of. I'm already chomping at the bit for her next book. You can get it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, both on line, and at many of your favorite bookstores.


Cooking Up Love by Cynthia Hickey

 I first read Cynthia's new book when she submitted it to our critique group. I read the first three chapters, and then couldn't wait for her to send more. It's a fun romance that also teaches the reader about the Harvey Girls. I'd heard of Fred Harvey restaurants that used to be scattered around the U.S. before all the fast food restaurants took over. People knew that when you ate at a Fred Harvey you would get good food at a great price.

What I didn't know was that for many years Fred Harvey fed multitudes of train passengers as they rode the rails, crisscrossing the U.S. The trains would stop to refuel and while they were doing that, the passengers would file into a clean comfortable restaurant to dine on food they'd already selected from a menu earlier during the train ride. Everything had to be done precisely and quickly as the train had a schedule to keep.

Harvey Girls were held to strict rules which included no fraternizing with fellow employees of the opposite sex.  Tabitha McClelland knows this, but wouldn't you know that on her train ride to begin training as a Harvey Girl she meets handsome Fred Harvey chef, Adam Foster. Well, she doesn't have any intention of getting involved with a man, so no loss. She wants to travel and live an exciting life.

Adam is falling hard for Tabby and isn't going to take no for an answer. Other girls are angling for Adam's attention when the head waitress, Miss O'Connor (whom I picured looking a bit like O'Brian, the maid on Downton Abby) while all Adam wants is Tabby.

Adam has a plan to settle down in California. Can he convince Tabby that his plan won't be perfect unless she joins him as his wife?

I've loved all of Cynthia's historicals, but she's hit a winner with this series. A short fun, romantic read. Great to take along to the beach or pool...or just lazing in a hammock on a summer's afternoon. You can find Cooking Up Love on Amazon, iTunes, Christianbook.com, as well as other sites.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Pam!